Surb Astvatsatsin (Holy Mother of God) Church of Dadesh
The new namesake church was built on the southern side of the old church-completely renovated in 2015
The village of Dadesh is located 13 km south-west of Akhalkalaki. The ancestors of the residents of the village were settled here in the middle of the 1830s from Ashkala, Erzrum, Mush, Kars. One of the remarkable structures preserved in the village is the ancient Surb Astvatsatisn Church.
Church Foundation: There were two churches by the name of Surb Astvatsatsin in Dadesh. The old church was founded in the 10-11th centuries. In the 19th century the resettled Armenians first reconstructed the old dilapidated church, afterward in 1848 they addressed to the Spiritual Government of Akhaltsikhe to consecrate the church. In 1867-1868 the new namesake church was built on the southern side of the old church. As of 1885, the church was stony with wooden cover. According to the villagers’ statement, the new church was domed, which later collapsed.
Architecture: Surb Astvatsatsin Church is built of mixed types of tuff and belongs to the domed- hall type. The total dimensions are 19,47x10,6m. During the construction, lime was used as a binding material, which is clearly seen on the facades of the building. There are rectangular windows on the northern and southern walls. A part of the medieval old church has been preserved adjacent to the northern wall. The entrance of the church is from the western side. The bell tower is located on the western side, and the octagonal dome is in the center of the roof. There are rectangular windows on the dome. The interior space is divided into three capitals. The Altar decorated with sculptures is on the eastern part with its chapels built on the right and left sides. The Baptismal Font is located on the northern wall.
Parish priests: The priesting priests of the 1850-1880s were Father Martiros Hovsepyan, Father Karapet Ter-Gabrielyants and Rev. Father Zakaria Zaghunyants.
School: According to the school bulletin of the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church in Georgia and the Imeretian Diocese of 1869, the church-parish school in the village of Dadesh was founded in 1864 by means of the village community. It currently had 20 students and 1 teacher.
Church re-consecration: Surb Atsvatsatin Church of Dadesh has not functioned since the Soviet times. The reconstruction and renovation works of the church started in 2014 and ended in 2017. The consecration ceremony of the dome, crosses of the bell tower and bell of the old Surb Astvatsatsin church was celebrated on June 10, 2017, by the Primate of the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church in Georgia ,His Grace Vazgen Mirzakhanyan with the participation of the Prelate of the Samtskhe-Javakheti and Tsalka’s General Prelacy Rev. Father Babken Salbian. On September 16, 2017, decades after its first consecration, the Church was consecrated by the Primate of the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church in Georgia, His Grace Bishop Vazgen Mirzakhanyan with the participation of the Prelate of the Samtskhe-Javakheti and Tsalka’s General Prelacy, Rev. Father Babken Salbian .The church was renovated by Ludwig Tumasyan’s family living in Russia and with the support of relatives and friends from the Russian Federation. Reverend Father Tatev Marukyan served the first Divine Liturgy in Surb Astvatsatsin Church. At the end of the Divine Liturgy followed the first baptism.
Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church in Georgia
Armenian Historical and Cultural Heritage Research Center in Ge
 S. Karapetyan, Javakhk, Yerevan, 2006, p. 153
 See in the same place
 NAA, ֆ. 56, ց. 1, գ. 5094, թ. 1 և շրջ
 «Ardzagank”, 1885, N 3,p. 41
 The Armenian Historical and Cultural Heritage Study Center in Georgia. Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church in Georgia
 NAA, ֆ. 53, ց. 1, գ. 3868, թ. 16-ի շրջ.; ց. 2, գ. 5488, թ. 2; գ. 5503, թ. 3
 NAA, ֆ. 53, ց. 2, գ. 5473, թ. 2
 NAA, ֆ. 53, ց. 1, գ. 3977, թ. 53 շ.-54
 Press Service of the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church in Georgia http://armenianchurch.ge/hy/news/34-news/1395-yekeghecu-ocum: